11. List 15 of your favorite things
11. List 15 of your favorite things
- swimming...jumping waves in the cold ocean water, playing with the seaweed, trying to touch the bottom of the lake, skinny dipping at night, cold cold water...swimming is my bliss.
- Ledge Falls, Baxter State Park...this is a natural limestone water slide. Wendy and I have been taking Abe camping there since he was a baby. There are a million amazing things at Baxter (moose, blueberry trails, 250 ft waterfalls,black bears, and Mt. Katahdin(the northern end of the Appalachian Trail).... but this one is the most fun. It quite a remote drive and usually we're there alone, the water is snow runoff from the mountain so it's freeze your nipples off icy but worth it. I've ripped many shorts, maybe gotten a little concussion, never come away not bloody, and once lost my shoes and couldn't stand up to stop myself and was swept into the SHARP ROCKY WHITE WATER below. Like my cousin says, we take our fun seriously, it's life or death.
- whales. Orcas in particular. It is a dream of mine to see them in the wild. You've heard my Sea World story right. Where my parents sat in the car in the parking lot so I could go see the whales. An orca was my first tattoo. I drew it on site and accidentally gave it pointy dolphin pectoral fins instead of round orca ones. It was forever christened Dhale the Walphin :) I would like to go on record here saying that my views on the whales at Sea World have been since compromised. Sadly. I hope that the public will push for a disbanning of the whale program.
- Wyland's Whaling Walls :)...I suppose if you squint you will see a theme to the things that I love. I cannot help it. This is one of Wyland's walls in Wildwood, NJ. It's the one I grew up seeing all the time. The public parking lot is right there and I have walked by it on my way up to the boardwalk a gazillion times. I've seen about a dozen whaling walls, I have a checklist. Lots of them are being destroyed, "renovated", just aren't there any more. It's sad for me.like this one in Seattle that I never made it to see :(....also he's done some in SWIMMING POOLS!!!! WET DREAM COME TRUE!!! I WANT TO SWIM THIS!!!! I think this one is in San Diego. Hopefully this will happen for me someday :)
- Dark Beer....Yum...this is my favorite of all beers. It tastes like young love and possibility. I dare you try it and tell me it doesn't. It was my first beer as a married woman. It makes me feel like summer EVERYTIME. I also like a nice IPA but nothing compares to THIS.
- Star Gazing...These are the Northern Lights in Presque Isle, Maine where I went to college. This is basically the view walking to dinner in the winter or coming out of your 4:00 class. Everynight was like a personal light and laser show. It is so dark there and the stars are so vivid, galaxies, it's beautiful. It's no wonder I thought drugs were a good idea. I grew up in New Jersey, lots of light pollution, I had NEVER seen a night sky like this until I came to college. I stepped out of the car when we pulled into campus, looked up and said "I am never leaving here".
- IROAD TRIPS!!!!!!....OK this pic of Adrienne Palicki just screamed ROAD TRIP to me. *G*. I'm glad to see I've got my pick of road trippin buddies :) YEA!!! Seriously tho, I love to ride in the car, windows down, music cranked, singing until I'm hoarse. I like the random little stores we stop at for snacks and the smell of gasoline. I like guessing where everyone's going. I will ride anywhere or nowhere. It is all about the journey.
- I love the children in my life....my own, my 5 nieces, my 2 nephews, my cousin's son, Abe's best friend, our best couple friends children, the twins and their older son. I value every relationship I have with each and every one of them. Watching them grow up has been the most rewarding thing about my life. I have a 10 year old nephew who tilts his face up to me EVERY TIME he sees me so that I can rub the freckles on his nose. I have a 13 year old niece who still will hold my hand when we walk together. One of the twins (who will be 2yrs. old in Feb) is seriously one of my favorite people I know. She has changed my life since she's been born. We have so many friends with just the sweetest and most delightful children. I feel so blessed.
- Books...these are two of the bookshelves in my house. As you can see they are also stacked next to bookshelves in giant heaping piles like a bad game of JENGA about to topple over. I love the smell of books, the feel of them, good illustration. I like the dogeared look of my old well loved books just as much as my pristine ones. I lose my mind in a library. Or a bookstore. Our Borders closed and I'm still in mourning over it. Going to the library gives me this feeling inside, like comfort mixed with excitement. It feels like when someone is playing with your hair. You know that feeling? I feel that same way when I look at books. That's a good thing. I might rearrange books today.
- fabric...I'm a fabric whore and hoarder. Crisp cotton, bundles of fat quarters, jelly rolls, hand dyes, batiks, dupioni silk *SHIVER*. ♥♥
- Masturbation...I know that if I did not insert a picture here, someone else *cough* Junie , would do it for me in the comments. But yeah I'm a fan. It is most definitely one of my favorite things, I mean I would choose it EVERY TIME over beer. No matter how good the beer. Daily masturbation makes me a happy more content person. I am aware that it's possible I am self medicating with oxytocin. But seriously, is there a better way to deal with anxiety?
- FANDOM ART!!!!...there isn't much I don't love about fandom, but the art makes me giddy inside. I'm always in awe with the talent and creativity of it. I have favorite artists of course, they're the same as everyone's favorites, quickreaver, badbastion,petite_madame,fanlay, salty_catfish....they're amazing right? And every year I make a somewhat porny art calender featuring my favorite art (just for personal use of course), and I hang it in my sewing room . With no credit given, here are some that I LOVE.there is no perfect time to end this, I could go on endlessly! ARTISTS I LOVE YOU!
- FanGirls...some I've met, some I haven't, you all know who you are....I fangirl the shit out of fangirls. I think they are an amazing passionate diverse group of ladies. And guys, I don't mean to leave out the token guys. There are writers that I so admire they have like celebrity standing in my mind. I won't mention them by name because that would just be embarrassing but seriously, they've been gushed on enough by me to need to shower off after reading my comments. ........................................
........................................ ......................... At my first con with Wendy, she looked around and said "oh my god, they're all like you, these are your people" :)
- Maps...this was going to be devoted to podfic, BUT maps won out. I love maps. I love to draw maps. It often a bone of contention with Wendy and I when she needs directions and I'm all, just give me a second, I'll draw you a map. I can get anywhere in the US with my atlas and appropriate maps, no GPS things in my car. For god's sake just give me a map. I love old maps, treasure maps, geo maps, I FUCKING LOVE TOPOGRAPHIC MAPS and bathymetry maps of ocean depths. O. M. G. I found some old maps in an antique store up here in Maine of the town I grew up in in NJ. So cool. I would someday like to tattoo a topographic map of where I threw my mother's ashes on my back. Maps are just so cool and interesting.
- You, Dean Winchester, you I love most of all.